Ministershave been accused of “hiding” school attendance data from the chaotic end of term last week that the Department for Education will not now publish untilnext year.
A teachers’ leader and Labour have questioned why the governmenthas not produced its weekly data today showing how many pupils were off school because of Covid.
The figures would have covered the period when some schools wanted to go online because of an exponential rise in infectionsbut ministers threatened legal action to keep them open.
Data: Lack of regional breakdown for most of term ‘has undermined schools’
Revealed: Analysis shows which areas have been hardest hit by Covid
Exclusive: Call for probe into lack of teacher Covid data
Posting on Twitter, Wes Streeting, Labour’s shadow schools minister, said: “No attendance data from the Department for Educationpublished today. Flimsy excuses for delayed publication to January.
No attendance data from published today. Flimsy excuses for delayed publication to January. What are you hiding ? Could it be that the total shambles of the last week impacted on school attendance? Any sign of a plan for January?
- Wes Streeting MP (@wesstreeting)
“What are you hiding Gavin Williamson and Nick Gibb?Could it be that the total shambles of the last week impacted on school attendance? Any sign of a plan for January?”
Coronavirus: Questions over lack of school attendance data
Mary Bousted,joint general secretary of the NEU teaching union,said: “You have got to question why, when the government is collecting this data because schools have been asked to collect it, why it has chosen not to publish it now.
“The suspicion would be that it is because this data for attendance in the last week of term will not be telling the story which the department wants to be able to tell, which is that it has achieved high attendance in the final week of term.”
During the past term, the DfEhas produced weekly figures on a Tuesday showing school attendance and the level of Covid-related absence in schools from the Thursday of the week before.
It has also just started producing a local and regional breakdown of attendance in state schools.
However, the department cancelled the publication it had planned for today, which would have shown how much Covid absence there was in the final week of term, during which severalcouncilsand academy trusts had wanted to move online.
The cancellation ofdata being published was announced last week in the DfE’s most recent set of published attendance figures.
It hadsaid: “The publication previously pre-announced forDecember 22 has been cancelled.
“The next publication will beJanuary 12 2021 and data for 11 to 18 December will be included in this publication to ensure a consistent - full - time series is available, including the end of the autumn term.
“This will enable a fuller explanation of attendance trends which are complicated by schools starting their Christmas break or having Inset days by ThursdayDecember 17.”
The final week of the school term descended into chaos last weekas the Department for Education took legal action to orderGreenwich council in London toabandon plans to move schools online in the final week of term over local concerns about a rise in coronavirus cases.
Italso sent threatening legal letters to schools in two other boroughs in the capital after councils proposed moving online.
And on the penultimate day of term the government announced that it was delaying most secondary school students’ returnin Januaryto allow for a mass Covid testing regime in schools and colleges to be set up.
A DfE spokesperson said: “Attendance statistics have not been published on 22 December, due to schools starting their Christmas break or having Inset days by Thursday 17 December.
“We had already announced that data for the last week of term (11-18 December) will be included in the first publication of the new year to ensure a consistent and complete timeseries.”